[U-Boot] U-Boot 1.3.4 and MPC8270 board

Remi Lefevre rlefevre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:20:27 CEST 2008

Hi,

I try to port U-Boot 1.3.4 on a custom MPC8270 card.
I'm very new to PowerPC and U-Boot, I'm therefore a little
lost in the huge set of documentation and most likely have
silly questions.

My board has the following main characteristics:
- 128 MB SDRAM
- 32 MB Flash (4xAM29LV641) mapped at 0xF4000000
- 3x MPC8270 cores (one master, 2 slaves)
- 60x is used instead of local bus
- PCI unused
- RS232 on SMC2
- HWCW configured by a PLD and used since years

As a first step, I would like to have a serial console output,
but I did not succeed yet:

I figured that it is not that far from PQ2FADS, therefore
I took this configuration as my base.

1. I added CONFIG_API and DEBUG in my config

2. I figured from HWCW value that I needed lowboot, and have set
   TEXT_BASE to start address of u-boot in flash, 0xF4000000
   (I have read again "System Initialization" but I'm not yet
   certain of this).

3. I defined CONFIG_CONS_ON_SMC, undefined CONFIG_CONS_ON_SCC
   and set CONFIG_CONS_INDEX to 2

4. CONFIG_8260_CLKIN is set to 100Mhz with PQ2FADS so I think
   and don't need to change that.

5. I flashed (with trace32 on Linux) u-boot.bin at 0xF4000000
   (first flash address)

With the debugger, I can see that 0x100 is executed first
and contains my u-boot code (li r21, 0x1). But it then
crashes at first init_8260_core instructions.
Of course, no data comes yet from the serial port.

Any help or documentation pointing would be greatly appreciated,
so that I can finally see this famous U-Boot prompt ;)

Best regards,
Rémi Lefevre