[U-Boot] Malformed ARP packets

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Sep 19 15:05:37 CEST 2008

Remi Lefevre wrote:
>> That is the critical issue: the PSDMR values.  If all else fails, read the
>> part number off a chip that is on your board and download the datasheet for
>> *that* *exact* part number.  Sometimes manufacturers upgrade their parts or
>> hardware makes a "compatible" substitution and the timing is differ
>
> I'm now angry to myself.
> I was lost in refresh timers and memory controller settings and did not
> check again the "so basic"  SDRAM device mode register.
>
> Burst length was actually incorrect....  no comments!  I'm ashamed.
>
> Thank you very much to have persuaded me it was a SDRAM issue, hope
> was decreasing. And so sorry for wasted time...
>
> Best regards,
> Rémi

Hi Rémi,

It is great that you have a solution and thanks for posting the
resolution - all too many forget to do the last step of posting the
resolution information.

Our "wasted time" will become the next engineer's 60 second problem
identification and fix, due to the power of gmane/google *and* the fact
that you posted the resolution.

For me, your SDRAM problem was not a waste of time, it was an intriguing
puzzle to solve.  In the words of Sir Isaac Newton, a smoother pebble or
a prettier shell.

"I know not what I appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have
been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in
now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell, whilest the
great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

<http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Quotations/Newton.html>

gvb
(stepping down from the soapbox)