[U-Boot] Data cache breaks U-Boot on ARM

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 7 22:58:49 CEST 2009

Dear Drasko DRASKOVIC,

In message <5ec3d7930904071340t6b233551vbea8d95f69a95536 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> However, when DCache is switched on with WRITETHROUGH or WRITEBACK policy,
> U-Boot stucks. Switching on only MMU and ICache works well, so I presume
> that pagetables were correctly set.
>
> Does anybody have idea what can be wrong here? I tried invalidating both
> caches and TLB before and after turning on DCache, but I get the same
> result.

This  is  pretty  normal.  Many  accesses  to  memory  mapped  device
registers  and  things like that will stop working if you by accident
enable caching for such areas. Also many devcie drivers are  probably
missing appropriate memory barrier instructions etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"How is this place run - is it an anarchy?"
"No, I wouldn't say so; it is not that well organised..."