[U-Boot] Allocating a frame buffer in memory

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Fri Apr 17 21:32:32 CEST 2009

On 13:13 Fri 10 Apr     , Steven Zedeck wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to allocate a frame buffer for my LCD code. I think I understand
> how to set up the LCC controller in the Atmel AT91SAM9. So thats not the
> issue, at least not yet. I need to understand how UBoot allocates a block of
> memory for the buffer.
>
> My TFT/LCD is 320x240 and in 24 bit mode, so 3 bytes per pixel. So I think I
> need 320x240x3 total bytes. Correct?
>
> In my lib_arm/board.c file, there is the following:
> #ifdef CONFIG_LCD
> 	/* board init may have inited fb_base */
> 	if (!gd->fb_base) {
> #		ifndef PAGE_SIZE
> #		  define PAGE_SIZE 4096
> #		endif
> 		/*
> 		 * reserve memory for LCD display (always full pages)
> 		 */
> 		/* bss_end is defined in the board-specific linker script */
> 		addr = (_bss_end + (PAGE_SIZE - 1)) & ~(PAGE_SIZE - 1);
> 		size = lcd_setmem (addr);
> 		gd->fb_base = addr;
> 	}
> #endif /* CONFIG_LCD */
>
> Then in lcd.c, there is lcd_setmem which displays:
> Reserving 600k for LCD Framebuffer at: 0x23E91000
>
> Even though I call lcd_setmem with an address of: 0x23F27000
>
> Which is the address that I pass to the Atmel LCD controller DMA Address ?
> I have been using this: 0x23F27000
on at91sam9 to specify the frambuffer base address you will just need to fill
 gd->fb_base = AT91SAM9263_SRAM0_BASE;
 or something else as done with the PSRAM for the pm9263
 in your board init and specify your "vidinfo_t panel_info"
 that's all (maybe you will need to check the LCD pin out configuration)

Best Regards,
J.