[U-Boot] NAND issues

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Aug 12 21:44:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:30:02AM -0500, alfred steele wrote:
> I have been using the "nand erase.e" command with favourable results
> till now. I was enticed by the "CONFIG_JFFS2_NAND" option in the
> platform config. When i turn this config option on and use the "NAND.
> write.jffs2 ", and use the resulting image, i get  abnormal results
> including a kernel crash.  What is the difference between a "nand
> write.jffs2" and the traditional nand write.e" command? I haven't been
> able to dig up on any relevant documention.
> I haven't grepped through the "common" source for the NAND subsystem.

Assuming you're talking about a recent version of u-boot, there is no
difference in any of the "nand write" suffixes.  They are maintained for
compatibility only.  They used to indicate that bad blocks should be
skipped, but we do that by default now.

> Are the commands any different , which of the commands is deprecated?
> i was guessing "nand write.e" understands bad blocks whereas nand
> write.jffs2" understands bad blocks as well as jffs2  internals like
> cleanmarker etc.

No, if you want cleanmarkers written you can use "nand erase clean".

> Which one should i be using?

Just "nand write", unless you have an old u-boot (more than a year or
so).

-Scott