[U-Boot] RFC: "make DESTDIR=xxx install" ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 13 23:03:49 CEST 2009

Dear Ulf Samuelsson,

In message <4A84779F.7010201 at atmel.com> you wrote:

> This still means that the external buildsystem need to
> know the internals of u-boot.

You always have to know the interface to the U-Boot build framework,
there is no way around that.

> There is nothing to stop me calling u-boot with
>
> make DESTDIR=/tftpboot/$(MACHINE)
> TARGET=$(MACHINE)-u-boot-$(U_BOOT_VERSION)-$(REVISION).bin install

Well, you must know that the U-Boot build framework does support these
options (or whatever they might be called), assuming they existed.

> If you maintain just a couple of boards, then it is inconvenient to
> have a subdirectory.
> If the tftp command in u-boot would fetch from that subdirectory
> automatically, then it would be less of a pain.

Well, that's the default for many board configurations - at least for
all where I have something to say about the implementation.

It's in your hands to make it the default for all your boards, too.

> I am happy with u-boot.bin as a default,
> but there is nothing stopping you from adding more parameters
> like FORMAT=srec or FORMAT=hex.

I'm not sure if this is the right approch. To me it seems that a small
wrapper script, optimized for your (or my) purpose, is much more
flexible and does not pollute the Makefile for features only very
few people ever need.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first
not to crash.