[U-Boot] Network based logging with U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 18 13:18:26 CEST 2009

Dear Matthew Lear,

In message <4A8A7FA3.2090901 at bubblegen.co.uk> you wrote:

> Firstly, perhaps the problems I have with netcat and U-Boot netconsole
> are partly to do with the 'listener' software itself (ie netcat),
> running on <server ip>.  AFAIK the 'mapping' of netcat to target ip
> address in order to utilise U-Boot's netconsole is one-to-one, ie netcat
> is unable to listen on an ip address range because it performs a lookup
> on the address and this obviously fails for an ip address range. I may
> be wrong here but from what I can tell, listening on an ip range with
> netcat is not possible. If it was, then this would solve part of my problem.
>
> Of course, there may be other listeners which may be able to do this..?

You got the source code. Feel free to implement a lsitener with all
the features you need.

> Secondly, if there is a centralised logging machine (<server ip>), then
> ideally, the messages received from U-Boot's netconsole would be
> prefixed with an identifier in order to differentiate one device running
> U-Boot from another. The prefix could be a U-Boot env hostname, ip
> address, MAC address or some other identifier/variable. If this was
> possible then each platform could be differentiated easily at the server
> end.

Again, this can be easily implemented on the listener side, as you
know exactly where each packet is coming from.

> I suppose my end goal is to have something akin or analogous to multiple
> platforms running Linux and logging over syslog to a server machine
> running syslogd.
>
> Does that help?

Yes, as it defines your requirements.  As  it  turns  out,  you  need
support  for  additional features on the listener side. From what you
wrote I cannot see any changes needed for the U-Boot side.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Speed of a tortoise breaking the sound barrier         = 1 Machturtle