[U-Boot] Weird issues with u-boot on Microblaze

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Thu Aug 20 10:15:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

> I've been trying to bring up a vanilla kernel on an XUPV5-LX110T board,
> and have been having all sorts of odd issues with U-Boot.  For example,
> if I try to enable FIT image support (as noted on
> http://www.monstr.eu/wiki/doku.php?id=uboot:uboot ), I get
> CONFIG_BOOTMAPSZ undefined.  I've also had to edit image.h to get the
> thing to compile.
>
> image.c: In function ‘boot_get_fdt’:
>
> image.c:1510: error: ‘bootm_headers_t’ has no member named ‘fit_hdr_fdt’
>
> image.c:1511: error: ‘bootm_headers_t’ has no member named ‘fit_uname_fdt’
>
> image.c:1512: error: ‘bootm_headers_t’ has no member named
> ‘fit_noffset_fdt’
>
> the fix:  edit image.h (line 221):
> #if defined(CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT) /* WAS: CONFIG_PPC */

FIT support is not in mainline u-boot. Only in my testing repository.

> If I fix that and try to load a FIT image with a kernel and device-tree,
> the bootm command completely ignores the device tree; unfortunately,

Yes the same thing as with FIT. Not in mainline yet. Simple no time. But
I have patches in my tree and I want to send them to next merge open window.

> don't have a log of this on hand, because now even image loading has
> broken somehow.  For example, fatls ace 0 gives "   131074   . ", and
> attempting DHCP boot results in a spew of "ARP Retry count exceeded;
> starting again" -- retry count exceeded, despite it never having tried
> even once?

I'll test it.

> I've attached a log of the console output under both conditions, as well
> as the config.mk and xparameters.h under microblaze_generic; for some
> reason, the given U-Boot BSP assumes 100MHz, despite the board using
> 125MHz.  Does anyone have advice for getting u-boot to work on this board?

I have fix for u-boot bsp which fix it. The same issue is for uart16550.

I am going to update my git repo at http://git.monstr.eu/git/gitweb.cgi
There will be updated u-boot bsp too.

Thanks,
Michal