[U-Boot] PowerPC -mrelocatable

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Aug 27 19:49:35 CEST 2009

Peter Tyser wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:38 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Someone tried to get proper relocation working a while ago, but ran into
>> toolchain bugs.  Maybe current toolchains are better...
>
> X-ES's board's in U-Boot fully relocate to SDRAM with the
> CONFIG_RELOC_FIXUP_WORKS define and -mrelocatable compiler flag.  This
> feature has worked with gcc-4.3.1/binutils-2.18.90 and
> gcc-4.2.2/binutils-2.17.50.
>
> Does anyone have a specific example of a toolchain that doesn't work?
> It'd be great to get the issue figured out and get rid of all those
> gd->reloc_off references that currently litter the code...

According to these e-mails:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2007-October/025937.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2007-October/025941.html

it worked in (at least some) 4.0, but not (at least some) 3.x or 4.1.

If we're now at the point where current GCC works, and has for several
releases, we should probably consider revisiting those patches.

-Scott