[U-Boot] Uboot hangs on "starting kernel..."

Robin Randhawa robin.randhawa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:41:08 CET 2009

Greetings.

On Thu10 Dec 2009, at 20:29, Wierd O wrote:

> I am not sure why the kernel stops short of loading. The other thing that confuses me is that i couldnt know whther the proble is from the image or uboot.

You are assuming that the kernel 'stops short of loading'. It is quite likely that the kernel has gone along a fair but and attempted to bring up your board but has panicked at a very early stage before the kernel log buffer was flushed to the console thereby preventing you from getting a feel for what really went wrong. There could be any number of reasons for this of course.

My recommendation would be to start hacking the kernel from a very early stage of initialisation. If you can get to Linux's '__log_buf' and print out the ASCII contents straight to the UART, I bet you'll get a handle on the problem. It'll most likely be a kernel misconfiguration issue but you'll get the idea one hopes.

Cheers,
Robin