[U-Boot] Loading Linux Image on AT91SAM9263-EK

Amandeep Bhullar abhullar at techlinkentertainment.com
Wed Feb 11 20:33:19 CET 2009

Hi All,

I have Atmel AT91SAM9263 Evlauation kit and want to load Linux-2.6.27 on
it. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded Linux-2.6.27 and followed instructions on
http://www.linux4sam.org/twiki/bin/view/Linux4SAM/LinuxKernel to build
the Linux kernel. I used cross tool chain arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
2. As a result i got file "vmlinux".
3. Converted it to binary using the command -
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S vmlinux
linux.bin
4. Since U-boot uses only uImage, I gave command -    mkimage -A arm -O
linux -C none -T kernel -a 200000 -e 200000 -n linux-2.6 -d linux.bin uImage
    This gave me the uImage file. I used Load address and entry point as
0x200000 because it is suggested at
http://www.linux4sam.org/twiki/bin/view/Linux4SAM/GettingStarted#Linux4SAM_NandFlash_demo_Memory
that linux kernel should be at 0x200000 to boot from NANDFLASH. /Please
comment if I built the image uImage file right?/

Now I want to use this Linux image on the AT91SAM9263-EK board. I use
the Atmel tool SAM-BA v2.7. I erased the NANDFlash. Loaded Bootstrap and
u-boot at the said addresses. It goes to U-boot prompt fine. The
evluation kit is connected through serial port and I use hyperterminal.
I get the U-boot prompt.

I have questions about loading the Linux Image. Do I just use SAM-BA
v2.7 tool and send file uImage to address 0x200000? I tied that and I
got Error: Cant get kernel image.

Any help will be appreciated !!

Aman.