[U-Boot] u-boot Atheros AP81 router platform, TP-Link (and others) possible GPL violation?

Stephen Gutknecht stephen.gutknecht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 08:52:24 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Stephen Gutknecht (hilltx)
<stephen at hilltx.com> wrote:

> Netgear WNR2000.  Netgear added some special flash checksum that makes
> using flash filesystem difficult as the checksum differs on each
> reboot of the router.  However, you can control the u-boot and do
> tftpboot of ramdisk OpenWRT - but we can't flash OpenWRT due to u-boot
> checksum they added.

It has now been pointed out to me that Netgear GPL ownload does indeed
include the u-boot source code for the WNR2000.  This in fact has some
critical source code for enabling the Atheros AR8216 Ethernet switch
that currently is not in OpenWRT.

Reference:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/people/agb/wnr2000/uboot.5fbb2cd3b1b11352dfb73f0b8326c323662182a8.diff

  Stephen