[U-Boot] Vitesse Phy not recognized VSC8211

hendrik hendrik.vastech at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:36:18 CET 2009

Hi all

In porting from U-Boot 1.2  to U-boot 2009 i noticed that the phys on my
board was not detected and defulted to Generic/Unrecognised; while
looking through my code for U-boot 1.2 I found a  phy_info struct for
the Vitesse phys my board has( in drivers/tsec.c). The Same struck does
not appear in U-boot 2009 (drivers/net/tsec.c) I presume that my
predecessor defined the struct "phy_info_VSC8211". can I simply copy the
struct into the nee U-boot code and how can I confirm that the struct
contains valid settings?

struct phy_info phy_info_VSC8211 = {
    0xfc4b,
    "Vitesse VSC8211",
    4,
    (struct phy_cmd[]) { /* config */
        /* Override PHY config settings */
        {MIIM_CIS8201_AUX_CONSTAT, MIIM_CIS8201_AUXCONSTAT_INIT, NULL},
        /* Set up the interface mode */
        {MIIM_CIS8201_EXT_CON1, MIIM_CIS8201_EXTCON1_INIT, NULL},
        /* Configure some basic stuff */
        {MIIM_CONTROL, MIIM_CONTROL_INIT, &mii_cr_init},
        {miim_end,}
    },
    (struct phy_cmd[]) { /* startup */
        /* Read the Status (2x to make sure link is right) */
        {MIIM_STATUS, miim_read, NULL},
        /* Auto-negotiate */
        {MIIM_STATUS, miim_read, &mii_parse_sr},
        /* Read the status */
        {MIIM_CIS8201_AUX_CONSTAT, miim_read, &mii_parse_cis8201},
        {miim_end,}
    },
    (struct phy_cmd[]) { /* shutdown */
        {miim_end,}
    },
};

When i included the struct as is the my board with the MPC8548 ver1 cpu
worked correctly but the board with ver2 CPU does not work.
A would appeciate any help

thanks Hendrik