[U-Boot] RAM Probing for ads5121rev4

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 18 10:01:33 CET 2009

Dear Emanuele Placidi,

In message <7c4b93310902180021o56da8320w2084e6a8c09c9509 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>    In your opinion it is possible to probe the ram before initialize it?
> Unfortunately there are some rev4 which are equipped with different ram
> model.
> Examples are welcomed.

It is a standard feature in U-Boot (and has always  been  right  from
the start with PPCBoot nearly 10 years ago) that we auto-detected the
memory  configuration  on  the  boards,  both for RAM and flash. Some
boards / architectures did not bother  to  implement  this,  but  the
feature itself is present.

The  details  depend  on  processor,  memory  controller  properties,
specific RAM types used, etc.

In case of the Micron/Elpida issue on the ADS5121, that should be not
too difficult to solve.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many QA engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 3:  1  to
screw it in and 2 to say "I told you so" when it doesn't work.