[U-Boot] Error uncompressing kernel image

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Feb 20 17:01:28 CET 2009

Alemao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two JFFS2 images, both with the _same_ kernel inside.
>
> But the images differs in size, cause one is for debugging and has
> some additional apps:
>
> debug.im   = 13 MB
> release.im = 6.2 MB
>

> Im loading kernel and dtb via fsload:
>
> fsload 2000000 uImage
> fsload 4000000 mpc8343.dtb
> bootm 2000000 - 4000000

Your uImage is located pretty high in memory: 0x02000000.  A lot of
boards load the image at 0x00400000.  I would move this down and see if
it helps.

Your DTB is loaded way away from your image.  I would load it 32K below
(lower address) your uImage.  It probably is only around 8K, 32K will
give you plenty of room to grow (famous last words ;-).  Try 0x003F8000.

Combining the lower addresses should give bigger available chunks of RAM
on startup.

> When I use release.im, no problems. But when I use debug.im:
>
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... Error: inflateInit2() returned -4
> GUNZIP ERROR - must RESET board to recover
> Resetting the board.
>
> In u-boot/include/zlib.h:232:
>
> #define Z_MEM_ERROR    (-4)

Out of memory - probably due to fragmentation (see above) because of
where you are loading your image and dtb.

[snip]

> Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> Maybe scanning JFFS2 is consuming a lot of memory?

Quite likely.

> My board has 128 MB of DDR SDRAM, I think space is not a problem, so
> is there a place that I can set for exemple max values for
> allocations?
>
> Im using U-boot-1.2.0.

Very old.

> Cheers,