[U-Boot] Micrel Ethernet controller with SPI

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Feb 20 22:52:35 CET 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 16:36:52 Steven Zedeck wrote:
> I "think" what I need to do is to create or find a driver that will
> ultimately live in drivers/net/ and has functions such as eth_init,
> eth_send, eth_tx, etc.
>
> Currently we use a different chip and it is supported by the existing
> u-boot. The Ethernet chip is supported by drivers/net/enc28J60.c Many other
> chips are supported by files in the same directory.

unfortunately, these mac switches arent quite that simple.  you've got to work
with the MAC that hooks up to the switch, and you've got to work with the
arbitrary number of MACs that exist in the switch.

if we look at the Blackfin setup, we have the "bfin_mac" driver and that fully
controls the MAC that is inside of the Blackfin chip.  but then the MAC switch
needs setup and programming as well.

we cheat and do bare min stuff:
 - bootstrap some settings according to pins
 - turn on the switch via spi (the code i referred to earlier)
 - let everything else autonegotiate

> All I'm really concerned with is u-boot's ability to do a ping test as well
> as read/write registers.
> Do you have support for eth_send, rx, etc?

yes, because we only worry about the bfin_mac side.  maybe Ben has more
already.  otherwise i'd watch/review the linux kernel stuff and try and poach
just :).
-mike