[U-Boot] dtc/u-boot tool naming, "ftdump", "mkimage"

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Thu Jan 15 01:34:34 CET 2009

Josh Boyer wrote:

> David has said before that ftdump is sort of a pointless debugging tool.
> Or at least that is what the Debian bug report referrenced as the reason
> from removing it from the Debian dtc package.

As long as you have the original device tree source code to hand. I tend
to find that the guy who sent me the device tree and kernel for me to
test, has gone to bed and will not be back for 8 to 10 hours. Rather
than hang around, on the event that I think it's a device tree problem I
tend to ftdump to see what's going on.

It might have some use somewhere someday, but yeah.. I guess.. bringing
it out from a build into a package is kind of a dumb idea.

> Maybe we should just remove it entirely if it's not really going to be
> maintained long-term.

Up to you.

-- Matt