[U-Boot] Flashing u-boot on NAND flash

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jan 20 14:35:43 CET 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Afzal Nadirshah wrote:
> I was going through the u-boot archives and I came across a reply from
> Leonid (http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2008-March/030788.html)
>
> Accordingly I did the following :
>
> 1. I set the TEXT_BASE to the address 0x1000000 in
> board/amcc/canyonlands/config.mk 2. The initdram function in
> board/amcc/canyonlands/canyonlands.c was left alone as it contained only
> the following code : return CFG_MBYTES_SDRAM << 20;
> 3.i did not have the file board/xilinx/ml403/u-boot.lds, instead of that, I
> used the file board/xilinx/ppc440generic/u-boot-ram.lds.
>

> With these changes I compiled the u-boot and it compiled properly.
>
> Then I loaded the bin file using the BDI 3000 to the location 0x1000000, I
> set rm pc 0x1000100 And entered the command "go".
> After this I expected to get the u-boot messages through the serial port on
> minicom. But I din get anything on minicom.
>
> Could you please guide me as to where I am going wrong?

Are you sure that your DDR2 setup in the BDI init script is correct? Did you
do some basic memory testing via the BDI?

As explained before, this is not a supported config option for PPC4xx. So many
things could go wrong here. You must make sure for example that no SDRAM init
code is executed anymore. And perhaps other CPU init stuff has to be removed
for such an image as well.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de