[U-Boot] NAND only (no NOR)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jan 24 00:56:59 CET 2009

Dear Norbert van Bolhuis,

In message <4934F7FC.2030105 at aimvalley.nl> you wrote:

> Nowadays, do many (PowerPC) embedded devices already risk omitting
> NOR flash and use a NAND device solely for booting and storing images ?
>
> I'm talking about systems with 10 years life-cycle (so no
> MP3-players nor medical systems but somewhere in between).

Here is a pretty late comment: I recently learned that there are  NOR
flash  chips  with  a  NAND  interface. The flash chips manufacturers
recommend these for devices that have  to  boot  form  NAND  for  one
reason  or  another,  but that require reliable operation over a long
time.

Go figure...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually a "No Exit" sign.