[U-Boot] u-boot for ARM

Pink Boy dasfoo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 21:38:27 CET 2009

Amandeep Bhullar sez,

> I have an Atmel AT91SAM9263 evaluation board with an
> arm926ejs based processor. I want to configure U-boot
> for this and want to have a USB device boot option
> available too. Though the U-boot will be in NAND
> Flash but i want the board to boot from a USB device
> like a USB Flash drive etc.

Sounds like an adventure!

> I was reading the README and it talks about configuring a
> large number of options. Where do I define these options?
> In which file?

For your board the file with many of the defines is.

include\configs\at91sam9263ek.h

> if i  just give the command
> $ make arm926ejs_config
> if comes with a message
> make: *** No rule to make target
> 'arm926ejs_config'. Stop.

You need to type,
make at91sam9263ek_config
make

Also it's a good idea to have the environment variable

CROSS_COMPILE

Set to point to your tool chain, as in

CROSS_COMPILE=\opt\mytoolchaintool\arm-elf-

where the directory

\opt\mytoolchaintool\

Contains your tools, such as arm-elf-gcc etc etc.

> Can anybody help me in how to obtain a .bin file for my
> processor that i can load in NANDFlash and use this U-boot.

Can't help there, don't know if it's possible.  I do know that
you can boot out of NOR (parallel) and Atmel Dataflash (Serial).
I would suggest building the standard u-boot and learn how it
works and then go from there.

Mr Foo
---