[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Thu Jul 2 16:59:57 CEST 2009

On Thu 2 Jul 2009 09:56, Richard Stallman pondered:

>     > Access to a network may be denied when the modification itself
>     > materially and adversely affects the operation of the network
>     > or violates the rules and protocols for communication across
>     > the network.
>
>     The way I read that is that it is the unit you are on will have it's
>     radio off,
>
> I think you have misinterpreted those words.  Denying a user or a
> machine access to a network means cutting off communication in the
> network, not altering the machine.

If the cell phone operator's "rule" says that operating of a modified device
should not effect non-modified devices in close proximity (jamming - which I
think meets the "materially and adversely affects the operation of the
network" statement) - in a TDMA network (like GSM is) - the only way to
enforce that rule - is on the client side - not on the network side. There is
nothing on the network side you can do to stop that that I'm aware of.

I'm aware that most devices today separate the datapump and the application
processor, but this doesn't seem to be the trend - the trend is run both on
the same CPU (as it decreases the cost).

> This clause is not an exception to the requirement for installation
> information.  Cell phones must offer installation information just like
> other User Products.

Right - but the cell phone provider should have the ability to alter the state
of the device (not allow the radio to be turned on), so it can't "adversely
affects the operation of the network" - shouldn't they?

Or is this where one person's freedom (the ability to modify their phone, and
turn it into a jamming device), is more important than the freedom of
everyone else to actually use their phones on the same network. (Which
actually - wouldn't be a completely bad idea - when I have been standing near
someone talking too loud into their phone in a public place, I often wish for
a jam the network app on my phone :)