[U-Boot] Providing more board info from U-Boot to resident OS

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 7 13:36:44 CEST 2009

Dear Matthew Lear,

In message <4A532251.8090906 at bubblegen.co.uk> you wrote:

> U-Boot provides data containing board information to a resident OS that
> may be booted. Are there plans to extend this so that an additional
> 'level' of more specific board information can be provided to the OS?

There are  no  such  plans,  other  than  converting  more  and  more
architectures  to use the device tree to pass such information, which
inherently is extensible.

> Specifically, and for example, is there a mechanism that U-Boot can use
> to inform the OS (Linux in this case) that it has enabled the watchdog
> on the cpu?

Use the device tree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bradley's Bromide: If computers get too  powerful,  we  can  organize
them into a committee - that will do them in.