[U-Boot] DUTS: missing pieces for a beginner

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 30 09:07:25 CEST 2009

Dear Niklaus,

In message <200907300832.15979.niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org> you wrote:

> I would like to do some more extensive tests with the U-boot and took a look
> at http://www.denx.de/wiki/DUTS/DUTSDocs
>
> I think that the wiki is somehow out of date as examples as the following
> a) ./duts b should be rewritten to /duts -showconfig ?
> Is this true?

I think this is easily possible. Detlev and Vitaly have been working
heavily on DUTS in the past months, and I can imagine they did not
always update the documentation.

Detlev, maybe you can comment here?

> b) ./duts  -showconfig v38b gives on my system the following output:

Again, this is better for Detlev to comment...

> I would volunteer to update the wiki if somebody can confirm that my
> observations are correct.

Cool - thank in advance. Detlev, say yes, and quickly :-)

> >ERROR: couldn't spawn 'connect'?!
>
> I would appreciate any hints. As the section "I"ntroducing suppport for a new
> VL " is just a little be too small for me. E.g. how can I add a new VL. Is
> there an example I just can copy and adjust it? Where do I specify the tty
> device for the sequoia?

"connect" is a small shell script we use internally:

#!/bin/bash

if [ $# != 1 ] ; then
	echo "Usage: $0 target" >&2
	exit 1
fi

###	Server	Target
LIST="
	ts2	acadia		7029
	ts0	ads5121
	ts0	ads8272
	ts0	arches
	ts0	aria
	ts1	bamboo
	ts0	beagle
	ts9	bifas
	ts1	bubinga
	ts2	canyonlands	7009
[... list truncated ...]
	ts1	walnut
	ts2	yellowstone	7019
	ts2	yosemite	7022
	ts0	yucca
	ts0	yucca_a
	ts2	mgcoge11	7026
"

CMD=''
TRG=''

case "$1" in

-l|-h|--help|-?)
	echo 'Known targets:'
	while read srv trg prt
	do
		[ "$trg" ] && echo $trg
	done <<_E_O_F_ | \
	pr -o 4 -t -5 -w76
$LIST
_E_O_F_
	exit 0
	;;

*)	while read srv trg port
	do
		tmp1=`echo $trg | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`
		tmp2=`echo  $1  | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`
		if [ "$tmp1" = "$tmp2" ]
		then
			TRG=$trg
			if [ -z "$port" ]
			then
				CMD="/usr/bin/rlogin $srv -l $trg"
			else
				CMD="/usr/bin/telnet $srv $port"
			fi
		fi
	done <<_E_O_F_
$LIST
_E_O_F_
	;;
esac

if [ -z "$CMD" ]
then
	echo "Unknown target: $1" >&2
	exit 1
fi
echo "### Connect to \"$TRG\" using command: $CMD"
exec $CMD

We are using two types of terminal servers here: one type (for
example Lantronix ETS types, or Linux boxen with multiport serial
cards running our "tserver" package, see
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/tools/tserver-0.17-4.src.rpm) can be connected
using a "rlogin server_name port_name" command, while the other type
(for example Cyclades TS2000 / TS3000) require a "telnet server_name
port_number" command).

In your setup you could use our connect script, and install the
"tserver" package on your host system; then use an entry like

	# port  device          parameters
	#
	sequoia	/dev/ttyUSB3	115200,8,N,1

in  your  /etc/tserver.conf  file  -  then  you  can  use  a  "rlogin
server_name  sequoia"  command  to  attach  to  this port which works
nicely with the above tools.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid.
                                                - George Bernard Shaw