[U-Boot] Merge Process

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 18 15:41:48 CEST 2009

Dear Cem,

in message <90679b950906180633pf351261u7e581fc723806759 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We have, here at Ubicom <http://www.ubicom.com>, an ongoing process to port
> u-boot to our architecture. Last week we decided to merge the upstream
> u-boot codes to our local branch on which had forked from the upstream
> branch about 8 months ago.We successfully managed to merge remote master
> branch to our local branch. Is that the correct way of doing this? I mean,

It depends on what you are trying to do. If all you want to have is a
out-of-tree repository with your stuff in, this may work for you.

If you plan to ever send your patches back upstream, then this is not
what you want to do. In such a case you instead want to rebase your
local branch against the remote master branch, so you can generate
patches against the master branch that can be submitted on the mailing
list.

> should we synchronize with master branch? Is there any convention for the
> merge process?

There are no conventions for private repositories - you do what suits
your purposes best. It's only the communication  with  the  community
(i.  e. how to submit patches upstream) which is well defined and do-
cumented.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
But the only way of discovering the limits  of  the  possible  is  to
venture a little way past them into the impossible.
                         - _Profiles of the Future_ (1962; rev. 1973)
                  ``Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination''