[U-Boot] Merge Process

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 18 20:29:51 CEST 2009

Dear Cem Eliguzel,

In message <90679b950906180951r53175b65r7a9e26ae5993bf27 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Our ultimate purpose is to have our architecture become one of the publicly
> supported architectures by U-Boot.

Then you should  start  (as  soon  as  possible!)  to  following  the
community  development  model.  It  is always a very bad idea to keep
your code  closed  for  a  long  time  ("we  will  submit  only  when
everything  is  ready"), because (1) this means a lot of work for you
to rebase your code again and again against the  mainline  repo,  and
(2)  there  are  pretty  high chances that parts of your code will be
rejected for one reason or another and you will find that  you  build
lots  of other parts on tiop of this, so you have to change or rework
*everything*. Release early, release often is still true.

> What I really want to know is that should we always follow the master branch
> of original repo? I see several different branches as well.

You can have as many branches as you like, but yes, it  is  always  a
good  idea  to  rebase your branches frequently against master so you
can see when things start falling apart.

> At the end, the patches we'll send to the mailing list will probably have a
> big size. Should we just send the whole patch or?

Never try that. Please read the patch submissions guidelines, start at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches

You will have to submit your code as a series of small, independent,
orthogonal to each other patches. From what you write I suspect that
you failed to keep your changes separated in such small units - but
submitting just one huge blob will not work: we will not accept it,
even if it should fit within the size limits of the mailing list
(100 kB per message). I read between your lines that you will have to
rework your patches, splitting them up into logical units.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't panic.