[U-Boot] Marvell Kirkwood newbie question GPIO functions

Dieter Kiermaier dk-arm-linux at gmx.de
Fri Jun 19 10:47:02 CEST 2009

Hi Prafulla,

> It's my pleasure to reply you :-)
> Basic Kirkwood Soc Support patches are available on the u-boot-arm.git/next
> (will be mainlined soon) Sheevaplug board support patches are also
> submitted those are under review, you can find them here...
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-June/054313.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-June/054314.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-June/054316.html
>
> Some other board patches are in pipeline

thanks very much for your help.
So far I have seen that marvell git u-boot is used to push it to mainline.
Great job!
What patches are in the pipeline?

> > Currently I'm using the u-boot from git.marvell.com which has
> > first board support for sheevaplug. I'm working on a custom
> > hardware design but as a starting point the sheevaplug seems
> > to work well.
>
> Objective for U-boot at git.marvell.com is to maintain a usable copy of
> u-boot with all accepted/unaccepted patches at one place to support
> Kirkwood developers, but once all these patches are mainlined, this
> repository will be removed.
>
> > Sadly there is no generic gpio support - at least I couldn't find it.
> > Are there any plans to support a driver for this feature?
>
> BTW: what you want to do at u-boot level with GPIOs?
> Current Kirkwood drivers and board support does not need any specific GPIO
> driver, you can access registers directly to read/write GPIOs. But I think
> if this is a need in future, I will add gpio driver support. You can
> provide me your requirements too.

I'm working on a custom hardware using the sheevaplug as a starting point.
Hopefully end of summer I finish the hardware work and have my own board.
But I have some additional requirements. For example control some power
supplies for LCD, boot an FPGA, program a clock chip device and so on.
So my demands are:
- GPIO support (for programming the clock generator which has a simple serial
        interface to clock in the configuration data)
        Yeah, I know that I can setup the GPIOs by writing directly to the
registers,
        but a gpio frameworks would be much nicer ;)

- SPI (from the TDM module) support which works independet
  from NAND flash and SD-Card

I have allready posted a query to arm-linux kernel mailing list and yesterday
evening I have talked with Lennert on IRC regarding SPI and linux .

The SPI interface is needed in u-boot to boot my lattice FPGA
which is configured as slave serial device (and later on in linux to drive a
touch controller).
There is allready a FPGA configuration framework inside u-boot
and I would like to integrate also a lattice FPGA into that. But to do this
I need SPI support.

> > I'm willing to contribute some code if someone guides me a bit?
>
> You are most welcomed....
> Pls feel free to raise your queries...

Here they are :)
Thanks,