[U-Boot] U-boot debugger/emulator

Steven Zedeck saz at proliphix.com
Tue Mar 10 02:33:45 CET 2009

Hi,
This question is related to U-boot; in particular debugging in a U-boot
environment.

I am working on U-boot for the first time as well as working with the Atmel
AT91SAM9 processor. I am used to working with emulators when debugging low
level code such as embedded diagnostics.

I've never used the Atmel till now. In the past, I've worked with many
PowerPCs, Freescale, and Microchip processors. All have had various
emulators such as Microchip's ICD2, and with PowerPC I've used VisionClick,
CodeTap, etc.

Can anyone suggest a good JTAG-based emulator with a good Windows or
Linux-based debugger? Microchip's tools were very inexpensive and pretty
powerful. PowerPC's were a bit more expensive. I need something where I can
build U-boot with its makefiles, that we all know and love, load the code
into flash and/or ram, set breakpoints, single-step, look at variables, look
at C-source code, registers, possibly an IDE/editor, etc.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve