[U-Boot] Size of external u-boot commands

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Thu Mar 26 15:43:23 CET 2009

On 2009-03-26, at 15:21, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Libraries appear to be the problem. A program that just returns is 100
> bytes, add a puts("hello world") and it is 65KB.
>
> I had expected the u-boot app examples to be smart and use the copy of
> those libraries in the u-boot image. For example the demo program in
> api_examples uses printf (65K library) instead of building an api
> calling into u-boot for printf.

While I can understand your position, let me explain that the idea
behind the API was to provide calls to really elementary operations
and printf() wasn't considered as such (we only have print, get and
test a single character as far as console ops go); things like pre-
formatting should be done in the application...

The demo application is just a demo, it links in the same printf-
formatting code that U-Boot library uses, but specific standalone
applications are supposed to implement their own formatting routines.

Rafal