[U-Boot] standalone apps and their use of exported functions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 5 15:29:37 CET 2009

Dear Valentin Ecker,

In message <5A3D79E5-E8FE-475A-898F-75B44AFE4BE5 at gmail.com> you wrote:
> ok, maybe i get something wrong, but the README.standalone section 5
> it says that i have to extend the jump table with the functions i want
> to export.
> e.g i want to call run_command() in my standalone application. This
> function is not declared in exports.h. So do i have to add it to the
> table then or not? Intuitively i would simply link it.

If you link against U-Boot, you don't need a  standalone  application
at  all,  as  then  you lose all the specific properties of a SA app:
your code is no longer independent of the U-Boot image running on the
board, and your code must be released under GPL.

So just add it as part of the U-Boot image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved."        - Butler