[U-Boot] Preserving frame buffer memory between uboot and Linux

Steven Zedeck saz at proliphix.com
Fri Oct 2 22:48:13 CEST 2009

Hi,
We have a situation when we want to display an image towards the end of
Uboot's execution, before we boot Linux. I have that already.

However, my issue is that while Linux boots it mallocs a new frame buffer
and reinitializes the LCD controller with a new memory address. At the
moment in Uboot the frame buffer is at 0x23F39000. In Linux I see it being
mapped to 0x23980000.

Is there a way to force Linux to use the already-allocated frame buffer
memory so the image doesn't go away?

I am running on an Atmel AT91SAM9RL with Uboot 2008.10 and 2.6.28 Linux.

Thanks in advance,
Steve