[U-Boot] Using fw_setenv from Linux

Rahanesh rahanesh at tataelxsi.co.in
Tue Oct 6 09:15:53 CEST 2009

Hi Wolfgang,

I am using fw_printenv to set few environment variables from Linux. I am
able to see all the environment variables using  fw_printenv.

But when i type the command fw_printenv i get the following message first

"*Read error on /dev/mtd1: Success*"
then u-boot environment variables are printed.

 After creating a softlink from fw_setenv to fw_printenv i executed the
following command to  set boot delay as  8 .

On execution of following command *fw_setenv bootdelay 9  *i got the
following print messages.

*Read error on /dev/mtd1: Success
Unlocking flash...
Done
Erasing old environment...
Done
Writing environment to /dev/mtd1...
Write error on /dev/mtd1: Operation not supported
Error: can't write fw_env to flash
*
What might be the problem here?

But after fw-setenv command if i give a fw_printenv command  it shows
modified boot delay value..
And then when i reboot the system  i get boot failed message and uboot
does not come up.

Thanks
Rahanesh