[U-Boot] NET: SDP3430: trouble with shifting from LAN9C916 to SMC91XX driver

Nishanth Menon nm at ti.com
Wed Oct 14 14:56:57 CEST 2009

Ben Warren had written, on 10/13/2009 11:36 PM, the following:
> Nishanth,
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Nishanth Menon <nm at ti.com
> <mailto:nm at ti.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     While attempting to address the warning for SDP3430 as pointed out by
>     dirk in [1], I did a patch corresponding to what was done for EVM(353x)
>     as in [2]. unfortunately, this wont work for me, I get:
>     U-Boot 2009.08-00515-gfea6a55-dirty (Oct 12 2009 - 14:03:23)
>
>     OMAP3530-GP ES3.0, CPU-OPP2 L3-165MHz
>     OMAP3 SDP3430 board + LPDDR/NOR
>     I2C:   ready
>     DRAM:  128 MB
>     Flash: 128 MB
>     In:    serial
>     Out:   serial
>     Err:   serial
>     smc911x: Invalid chip endian 0xdee0013d
>     Net:   No ethernet found.
>     OMAP34XX SDP #
>
>     and no network, using LEGACY driver seems to be working just great
>     for me.
>
>     Note: in my patch [2], I did try both CONFIG_SMC911X_32_BIT and
>     CONFIG_SMC911X_16_BIT with no luck either way.  I even tried to hack the
>     driver by skipping the supported chip detection code, but the driver
>     still did not work for me.
>
> When using CONFIG_NET_MULTI you need to have a board_eth_init() function
done
> in your board code which in turn must call smc911x_initialize().  Make
done
> sure that eth_initialize() gets called somewhere in your cpu/board.c
why eth_initalize? rest of the OMAP3 boards dont seem to be doing that
> call sequence.  I suspect that while the SMC911x driver is being
> initialized, it isn't being registered properly with the networking
> library.  There are many examples in the source tree of how to do this.
I would expect that and did check too, but why:
smc911x: Invalid chip endian 0xdee0013d
when I had a base address and device which was supported by LAN91C96
legacy driver?

My lack of network chip knowledge is kicking me at the moment.. trying
to find the device data sheet internally @ TI..

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon