[U-Boot] NFS file system mounting problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 14 23:17:40 CEST 2009

Dear "Heyendal, Carl",

In message <1D6034426110564DA0DEA9EE9793B38357C8A9B437 at NBE-MBX01.americas.swk.pri> you wrote:

> I understand that it's not U-Boot that mounts the root file system. But,
> it is U-Boot that passes along the appropriate args to engage Linux to mount
> the NFS file system. Right now, as unfamiliar as I am, I'm just trying to
> determine if the args being passed are correct or not, to determine if I should
> pursue it as either a U-Boot or Linux problem.

It's definitely a Linux problem.

> With regard to the legal footnote in my email, as much as I agree with your assessment
> (except for the file deleting part which I don't understand), I'm compelled by my company
> to have this legal footnote in all my email correspondence. But, you must see this all the

Then you must not use this mail account for posting to any public
mailing lists. There is a plethora of free alternatives available,
chose one.

> time. I'm puzzled why anyone would be annoyed at such a trivial and common practice.

It is not commom, it is effectless, it's a waste of bandwidth, it's stupid, and it's forbidden on this list.

> I have included the entire boot output below.

Thanks.

> Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=10> .10.1.16:/home/heyendal/buildroot/buildroot-2009.08/project_build_arm/ILS_C> M/root ip=10.10.1.8:10.10.1.16:10.10.1.1:255.255.252.0:cm_carlh::off

So this looks OK. The kernel sees the boot arguments you pass, so it's
obviously a Linux problem.

I don't see any clear problems, so let's start with the obvious: are
you sure you have CONFIG_NFS_FS and CONFIG_ROOT_NFS enabled in your
kernel configuration?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You're dead, Jim.
	-- McCoy, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7