[U-Boot] Unable to boot Linux Kernel on Media5200

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Oct 15 02:22:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Christopher Beley <cbeley at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me (sorry for the late response, I've had a
> lot going on).   To be honest though, a lot of this is a little over my
> head.  I was looking at some of your old patches and  taking a look at
> the source for the total5200, which  I think is pretty similar to the
> media5200, but am not totally sure how to go about it all.  Could you
> maybe suggest some reading sources or tips on how to go about this?
> I've been looking at some documentation which describes what and where
> everything is, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.  I'll
> probally have to do a fair amount of reading either way for this.

Look at an existing MPC5200 u-boot board port (like the phytec pcm030)
and duplicate it.  It also helps to look at the original media5200
u-boot patches that Freescale shipped on the software CD-ROM.

> I never tried bringing the kernel down to 1MB, but i'm not sure what to
> do about the dts file either way.

You really need to update u-boot I think.  Getting the kernel down
below 1MB and still be useful will be hard.  I would do it for you,
it's not really all that hard, but I don't really have any time at the
moment.

> P.S. You know though, from the little I can find about the Media5200,
> I'm beginning to think it was never very popular.

It really wasn't.  I've got one, and you're the only person I know
outside of Freescale who has another.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.