[U-Boot] trouble with u-boot and bist fail on pcie adapter

Ayman El-Khashab ayman at elkhashab.com
Mon Oct 19 08:21:16 CEST 2009

I am using a recent version of u-boot (git from the past couple of
weeks) and have an LSI SAS adapter on a canyonlands board.
What I see happening is that u-boot reads the bist bit, then does
numerous bar accesses, then sets the bist fail and latency words.
Once the bist is set to fail, the lsi adapter doesn't respond to
anything else and so Linux fails to see it when it boots.  I've tried
turning
off pcie support in u-boot, in that case the bist did not get written
but Linux kernel crashed during the init of the adapter.  The LSI
adapter does work fine in a ubuntu PC, so the hardware is likely good.
This adapter is an LSISAS2008 gen 2 pcie board.  On the
PC it uses both IO and MEM spaces.

I am unsure what to try next -- Linux should not assume any state about
the adapter -- on the other hand, if u-boot does cause the
board to go into an unrecoverable state, there isn't much the kernel can
do about that.  any help / suggestions / experiments would be
much appreciated.

Thanks
Ayman