[U-Boot] DM9000 issue in DM355

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:24:12 CEST 2009

Hi Sandeep,

Paulraj, Sandeep wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I was taking a closer look at the DM9000 driver by trying it on the DM355 EVM. And it behaving a little different from before, i.e before we moved to the NET_MULTI stuff.
>
> When the board comes after I reflash with a new U-boot image, I no longer see the ethaddr being set. But when I do a tftp I can see the ethaddr being read. tftp complains and says no ethaddr set.
>
> So then I goto the U-Boot prompt and can clearly see that after giving the tftp command I have the ethaddr in my environment.
>
> I do a saveenv and set a static ip and then can boot the kernel.
>
> Even dhcp command does not work and times out.
>
> Is there any CONFIG flag I am missing?
>
> Just a couple months ago the DM9000 worked fine without any such issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandeep

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

It looks like the DM9000 driver doesn't follow proper MAC address
etiquette.  The proper way is to read from NVRAM in the initialize()
function and stuff it in dev->enetaddress.  I'm separately sending a
patch that compiles fine for me, but I don't have hardware.  Please give
it a shot, and if it's good we'll look at pulling it in.

regards,
Ben