[U-Boot] ping timeout

David Collier from_denx_uboot at dexdyne.com
Fri Oct 23 12:09:00 CEST 2009

> > Is there a better way to quickly check for the presence of a
> > server?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Actually trying TFTP seems to take even longer.
>
> No, if you configure it correctly.

OK - I see your comments and understand them.

But there's a difference between "is the server there" and "please TFTP
from it - and the timeouts for one are not the same as the timeout for
another.

If the server is present, I'm happy to use relaxed timeouts for the
actual transfer.

But I'd like a quicker way of just checking whether I'm on the
"production test network" or in a user site in the field.

So I'm still in favour of a separate time-out for ping.

David

> > Would it be a good enhancement to u-boot to have an environment
> > variable
> > which changes the ping timeout when it exists?
>
> Ping is not really useful. It may tell you that some machine is up
> and
> running, but it will not tell you if there is any TFTP service
> running
> on it. If you want to test for TFTP, then test for TFTP and not for
> something unrelated.
>
> See envrionment variable "netretry" (README) and variables
> TftpRRQTimeoutMSecs and TftpRRQTimeoutCountMax (net/tftp.c and
> common/update.c) for tuning TFTP connection behaviour and timeouts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev
> Zundel
> HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell,
> Germany
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> wd at denx.de
> The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,
> therefore,
> be regarded as a criminal offense.                   - E. W.
> Dijkstra

David Collier

www.dexdyne.com