[U-Boot] ip address confusion.

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Oct 23 15:09:33 CEST 2009

David Collier wrote:
> Our office network runs on
>
> 10.213.1.1/24

10.213.1.1/15 per your netmask.

> so all addresses in 10.212 and 10.213 should be local.
>
> and I have a TFTP server on 10.213.1.105
>
> if I set my office pc to 10.212.0.99 I can ping 10.213.1.105
>
> so far so good

> if I set u-boot up so the printenv at power-on looks like
>
> ethaddr=00:90:46:20:000:99
> eth1addr=00:90:46:20:100:99
> ipaddr=10.212.000.99
> serverip=10.213.1.105
> gatewayip=10.213.1.1
> netmask=255.254.0.0
> bootfile=99/uImage
> ethact=macb1
>
> then if I do
>
>     ping 10.213.1.105
>
> it fails.
>
> but after setting
>
>     setenv ipaddr 10.213.0.99
>
> it works
>
> Can anyone suggest why?

It smells like your netmask is not what you think it is.  The difference
in the addresses is .212. vs. .213. and it sounds like a gateway issue.
  Note that your gateway is in .213. land so, if your netmask is
255.255.0.0, the gateway will not be reachable from .212. land.

Please capture your console interaction and post it directly.  Your list
above is playing Chinese Whispers, resulting in unreliable communications.
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers>
You may also want to do a printenv before and after (critical) commands
to verify things didn't change on you.

FWIIW, when someone asks me "why doesn't the system do X" or says "the
system did X", I *always* say "show me" - users often filter out
important information because they don't realize that it is important...
which is exactly why the system isn't doing X and exactly why the user
is surprised by that.

> David Collier

gvb