[U-Boot] last step to go - dead PHY

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 26 12:53:41 CET 2009

Dear "David Collier",

In message <memo.20091026103604.2092f at postmaster+dexdyne.com.cix.co.uk> you wrote:
> My apologies, I've posted this is AVR32_u-boot where it probably belongs.
>
> But I'm running out of time to ship some prototypes tomorrow, and this is
> my last major issue with them, so could I throw myself on the mercy of
> the assembled wisdom please? Maybe someone will say - you stupid person,
> you need to change this line to that....

I don;t say that, but I do say this: With such a short deadline, you
should have hired an expert a couple of days (or weeks) ago.

> Yes, I know the very latest u-boot sources can do similar, but I had to
> freeze on 2008-10 because of the saveenv issue. Too late to update now.

This is unlogical. Instead of updating and fixing "the saveenv issue"
(whatever this is) you are using old code - where you now have to fix
"the PHY issue". Is this any better?

> the linux startup says:
>
> eth0: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=0:10, irq=-1)
> eth1: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=1:00, irq=-1)
>
> now we have strapped PHYAD4 high, so the 2 phys should have addresses
> binary 10000 and 10001
>
> I can't see any relationship between 0:10 and 1:00 and 10000 and 10001
> !!!
> well maybe - the first one looks right - binary 10000 is hex 10
> but the other port should be on hex 11, not hex 0!!!!!!

Maybe your haredware is not what you think it is?

> but under u-boot
>
> in my file derived from ATNGW10.c I have
>
> void board_init_info(void)
> {
> 	gd->bd->bi_phy_id[0] = 0x01;
> 	gd->bd->bi_phy_id[1] = 0x03;
> }

I can't see any relationship between 0x01 and 0x03 and 10000 and 10001
(or 0:10 and 1:00 either).  Maybe you try these instead?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Even if you can deceive people about  a  product  through  misleading
statements, sooner or later the product will speak for itself.
- Hajime Karatsu