[U-Boot] u-boot newbie

David Kaplan davkaplan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 13:26:46 CET 2009

Yesterday I was a JTAG newbie - today I'm a u-boot newbie as well and I was
wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've managed to get my hands on a surplus gps board (have no idea what gps).
The board has a samsung s3c2410 chip (arm9), samsung k9f5608u0d 32M flash
mem and two Qimonda HYB25L256160AF-7.5 (SDRAM) chips (16Mbit x 16
organisation I think).

My JTAG interface works fine and I can communicate with the chip (I have
managed to dump the flash too - i think).
I would like to know where to begin in regards to building a u-boot config
for this setup. Is there a ready-made config I could use (or edit?) Or some
documentation on how to build a config from first principles?

The board doesn't have Ethernet, but there is both usb and serial.

Also, once the u-boot has been compiled - where do I flash it to? (which
location in the flash mem - apparently it's not a good idea to overwrite the
first 4k???)

Any help would be fantastic! :)