[U-Boot] FPGA relocation/C environment

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Thu Oct 29 09:21:13 CET 2009

Hi,

I am using U-Boot on a Coldfire to load FPGA code (Xilinx Spartan3
and Altera Cyclone2, currently) and am just trying to update my code
base to current U-Boot for finally sending patches.

Now I recognized that commit 6385b28116f775da4771b768ba9bf93c3aaaf26e
removed FPGA relocation, which of course breaks FPGA code for my
Coldfire board.

What is the "proper relocation for PPC boards" that is mentioned
by Peter in his commit log? I found this test patch by him:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-September/060582.html
which leads me to the assumption that for PPC, newer compilers
do the right thing (TM) when given -mrelocatable, but
- my m68k-elf-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 4.3-208) 4.3.3 (that was the
  newest one I could get my hands on that is able to compile U-Boot
  at all) does not know -mrelocatable
- I do not understand how the compiler could know about the
  relocation for the FPGA (and possibly other) functions when the
  actual relocation is done during U-Boot run time?

Can anybody give some hints where I have to look at or where my
misunderstanding occurs?

Thank you,
Wolfgang