[U-Boot] Does U-boot supports Spansion S29GL512P NOR Flash?

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:01:10 CEST 2010

>>> For slow devices, the memory controller is usually setup to use the GPCM.
>>> Check your options and base registers
>>> (OR0 and BR0).
> What is GPCM? Which source/header file I need to check for these settings.?

Hi Prakash, I didn't know that a IBM PPC440 CPU didn't contain an
embedded memory controller. I assumed it did and therefore mentioned
the GPCM (General Purpose Chip Select Machine - Terminology used on
Freescale SoCs). Since your controller is obviously external/custom,
it's hard to help you.

>>>You mention different size.. is the port size different too?
> I think u-boot takes care of port size as if we do not define the port size
> then u-boot search with all possible port size.
> BTW how I can cross-check the port size?

Hmm.. As I don't have a 440 system, it's hard to tell. But on other
systems, the port-size is programmed for each chip-select, and tells
the memory controller the supported bus width connected to each device
for a given chip-select.

> For M29W128GH I have to do some code fixup from patch suggested by Stefan.
> Is there any special code fixup is required for S29GL512P flash chip
> support?

As I mentioned before, we didn't do anything special in order to get
S29GL512P working for our board.

Best regards,
Frank