[U-Boot] Uboot and mpc8536 - questions and confusions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 13 09:08:25 CEST 2010

Dear Mark Pearson,

In message <n2u43723ca11004121731x93705e65y92ca522ec7d77315 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> First off is any recommendations/advice on what version of uboot I
> should be using? I've got the uboot from freescale SDK (1.3.4) which
> has plenty wrong with it and the 2009.11 from denx which is
> unfortunately giving me some headaches. Previous experience is that
> Freescale not only release buggy software, but that it also doesn't
> support the things they say it does (PCIe on 8378 jumps to mind) so
> I've leaned to using denx latest as at it's maintained. Freescale

Please note that this is not a "DENX" version but the mainline
repository, i. e. the "official" community supported version.

> More importantly, specifically my current problem is that on this
> board we have some DDR (1G) with multiple chip selects and it seems
> that both chip selects won't work together. If I have both configured
> then I don't boot past trap_init() - it fails to read the code it
> copied into the top of memory. If I pretend that I actually only have
> half the memory (512M) I can use either chip select and it's fine. On
> top of this as soon as I able 36 bit address support, which we want to
> use, I also fail in trap_init() - but this time when the code writes
> the exception vector code to offset 0x100. Wierd huh.

Not weird at all. Correctly initializing the memory controller is one
of the most complicated taks during a  port of U-Boot, and by far the
most error prone.

> Any answers or advice to the above very gratefully received. Is there
> a patch I missed?

I recommend to base any work on the current version (top of tree) of
the git repository, and to stay in sync with this repo (i. e. pull
frequently from it).  As for your problem, these seem to be "normal"
topics for a port. Feel free to ask specific questions ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Calm down, it's *__only* ones and zeroes.