[U-Boot] Warning NetReceive(): Make sure packet buffers start on an even address

Chris Isbell chris.isbell at cdsrail.com
Fri Aug 6 16:38:54 CEST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Reinhard Meyer (-VC) <reinhard.meyer at emk-elektronik.de>
To: Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>
Cc: u-boot <u-boot at lists.denx.de>
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] Warning NetReceive(): Make sure packet buffers
start on an even address
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:38:58 +0200

Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
> 	static unsigned char buffer[ENC_MAX_FRM_LEN] __attribute__ ((aligned(4)));
Thanks, sometimes the very obvious is hidden behind a large wooden board :)

> Or, probably even better, use malloc() to allocate the buffer.
For each received packet? Could do that, but its not worth it.
Received packets are queued in the 6K RAM of the enc28j60.
I'll see if the enc can be made to ignore broadcast packets,
otherwise it might get tough either way on a busy Windows
network .....

Or are you aware of any need to hand over broadcast packets into
NetReceive() ?

I am stepping into the middle of this, so the following may be totally
misguided...

BOOTP/DHCP servers can send broadcast packets. I have just tried this
with a Windows DHCP server the the DHCP response was broadcast.

--
Chris Isbell
Systems Integration Manager, CDSRail