[U-Boot] Make preparatory patches that initially have no effect?

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Sat Aug 14 11:07:05 CEST 2010

Hello,

my current work in the AT91 SoCs will add several new drivers.

Some of them require new header files in arch-at91 or amendments
to existing header files there. Same for some at91 specific
header files in driver/*.

In existing header files it is adding adresses for
going-to-be-used devices and proper struct SoC defines for
them, the new header files will only allow struct SoC access
anyway.

If I add those discrete changes to each driver patch (where it
might actually belong), the incremental changes to some of
those files would require all those driver patches to be applied
in the right order to avoid conflicts.

Therefore I would like to put all new header files and all
changes to header files in one patch which would need to be
applied before the driver patches.

That patch would essentially cause no change to existing code.

Anyone find this idea bad?

Reinhard