[U-Boot] which protocol do I use to send S-record files when using the loads command ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 18 19:32:10 CEST 2010

Dear "Mangelschots, Jef",

In message <226BC4AFA29FC24789DFD00DFF3084C2524247EDD2 at SAFEMAIL.safetran.railad.com> you wrote:
> What file transfer protocol do I use when sending an S-record file when I issue the loads command ?

There is no protoco. You just send line by line...

> I tried with both TerraTerm and Hyperterminal.

Why did you not follow the description in the Manual?

> In both these cases, it reads the first line correctly, but by the time it wants to process the following line, it ends up reading garbage. It looks like the terminal programs kept sending bytes while U-boot was processing the first S-record line (which
>  is an S0 record).

Yes. With other terminal emulation programs you may have to twiddle
with inter-character and especially inter-line timings.

> I also tried sending a file with the protocols Xmodem, Ymodem, Kermit.

loads is not supposed to support xmodem or ymodem or kermit (binary)
protocols.

For ymoden, please use the loady command.

For kermit binary protocol, please use the loadb command
(recommended: most stable and often fastest of the serial protocols).

> Any files attached to this e-mail will have been checked with virus detection software prior to transmission but you should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. Safetran Systems Corp does not accept liability for any damage or l

Omit this crap when posting to a public mailing list. If you cannot
switch that off, then use a different, neutral mail account for
posting to mailing lists.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The word "fit", as I understand it, means "appropriate to a purpose",
and I would say the body of the Dean is supremely appropriate to  the
purpose of sitting around all day and eating big heavy meals.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_