[U-Boot] FW: which protocol do I use to send S-record files when using the loads command ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 19 23:13:36 CEST 2010

Dear Jef Mangelschots,

In message <AANLkTinLu+nJp-s1BwJ+ZOcASdptWfEQr020jW2wT=b=@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> > It is not exactly _parsing_ the record, but storing the decoded data
> > to it's final destination, which usually includes flash programming
> > cycles.
>
> Whenever some code takes a ASCII string (in my case an S-record),
> extracts fields from it, converts these to numeric values, then I call
> that parsing.

Me too, but that's not what is taking the time. It is the flash
programming cycles.

> Kermit protocol works great for us for transferring binary files
> (using both Teraterm and Hyperterminal).
> It is my understanding that we cannot use Kermit PROTOCOL to transfer
> S-record files with loads command.
> I though you indicated that in your previous email and it simply
> doesn't work when I try.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I always meant to refer to using
kermit binary protocol in combinationwith the loadb command.

> I am aware that you have suggested in many places AGAINST the use of
> S-record, but there is a genuine use for it.
> When using U-boot in a non-Linux bareboard embedded system, you need a
> way to give your users the capability
> to upload now software. An embedded software image is not a 'file'
> like in Linux but a memory image where data needs to
> reside at fixed addresses. In an multi-megabyte address space, the
> 'executable image' can consist of chunks of
> data spread over a wide range. 2 options here: (1) create a binary
> image of the entire Flash area, (2) a file that specifies which byte
> go in which address, i.e. an S-record file.
> Option (1) results in a big file with very little. Unless you break it
> up in smaller pieces and ask your user to burn image 1 at offset x and
> image 2 at offset y, ...

You could probably wrap the parts in a FIT image, transfer it in
binary mode, and use a script to extract the parts and move them into
place.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A day without sunshine is like night.