[U-Boot] FW: which protocol do I use to send S-record files when using the loads command ?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Aug 23 23:24:52 CEST 2010

Hi Grant,

>>> What sort of server?
>>
>> It would be a tftp server of course but that is out of the question
>> without a network hardware.
>
> Now that you mention it, I have implemented a tftp server for U-Boot.

Nice job!

> We needed a way to recover "bricked" units in the field, and there's
> simply no way we could require out customers to install a tftp server
> on their machines.  Making U-Boot the tftp server and our "restore"
> program the client solved several problems.  I also find have U-Boot
> be the server is a lot more convenient for development use.

Yes, I can see that this is very nice in some scenarios.

> [It also U-Boot commands to be sent via the tftp protocol.]

Now this is actually very intersting.  I never considered something like
this.  Of course it has the possibility to do "bad things" from the
outside, but the netconsole code has the same problem.  But unlike
netconsole the "client side" is fully standard.  Indeed very
interesting.  Can you pass back results, i.e. the output of an md
command?

> I thought about submitting patches (it's pretty much a stand-alone
> addition except for 3-4 lines in net.[ch]).  But it was made
> abundantly clear that tftp server code for U-Boot would never be
> considered -- I was scolded for even asking about it.

Maybe I can talk you into posting the patches?  It would be an awful
waste of effort not to at least post your (working!) implementation here
and thus (at least) get it archieved.  In Free Software written code
always has the potential to change minds ;)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
... what [Microsoft] Exchange provides is *like* email, but it is *not* email.
Once you start trying to use it for real email, you find it's broken by design