[U-Boot] The ctrlc() does not work when used from post_hotkeys_pressed()

Michael Zaidman michael.zaidman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:53:51 CET 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

> Please send plain text only.

Sorry for inconvenience but it is what I am actually trying to do from
within my
gmail. Very strange...

wrote:

>> Working on the POST for mpc834x based board I encountered  the following
>> problem:
>> The ctrlc() routine does not work when used from post_hotkeys_pressed().
>
> Hm... is this not to be expected?
>
> As mentioned before, the POST code is supposed to be NOT interactive.

Then how we supposed to switch the POST_SLOWTEST mode?

Is the proprietary HW button scanning implemented in post_hotkeys_pressed()
of some boards contradicting with "NOT interactive" claim?

> In such an envrionment, handling of ^C makes no sense.

What about those boards that call ctrlc() from post_hotkeys_pressed()?

> Also, lot of it is running before relocation to RAM,  where  features
> like switchable devices or interactive input is not available yet.

Ok, at least in the ppc branch the interactive input is available before
the first POST ROM test is executed.

>> The value of ctrlc_disabled variable defined as static in the console.c
>> file is lost after code relocation.
>
> Actually you cannot modify it before relocation.

Correct, so I added it  to the global data structure in such a way that its size
was not affected.

>> By adding the ctrlc_disabled to global data gd structure the problem was solved.
>
> It makes no sense to add all sort of random data to gd. gd should be
> kept strictly minimal.

Agree, the structure should be as small as possible. Please read the question #2
of my original posting where I addressed this issue.

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Thanks,
Michael