[U-Boot] The post_list array order change

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 16 16:16:18 CET 2010

Dear Michael Zaidman,

In message <660c0f821002160556o71b9814dl3bb35f26ff5adfbb at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > You may of course do that - it's your local code after all. But I tend
> > to believe that this does not make much sense. Interactive tests
> > should be run at a time when interaction is supported, i. e. _after_
> > relocation to RAM.
>
> You are right in general, but here we are targeting different purpose rather
> than interactively confirm pass or failure. I tried to explain it in
> this thread -
> "The general idea behind adding simplest user interface
> (what the GPIO LEDs are pretended to be) is to supply earlier possible
> indication about board status in the cases where board was stuck before
> serial console is available or in the field where there is not the serial
> console at all" and in my previous posting.

Yes, I know.

> In order to relate on this indication we must be sure it is operating correctly.
> It could be done by observing diagnostics LEDs performing running "1" pattern
> or any different algorithm which user is expected. Only afterwards we may
> be sure that we correctly interpret number and result of specific POST test
> which is indicated on the diagnostics LEDs.

I have to admit that I don't understand your exact requirements. To me
this makes not much sense. Classic system design would probably
include a "lamp test" button where you can test the hardware - i. e.
if all your LEDs / LED segments are working (but one might discuss if
this is still needed with LED's - it certainly was useful with classic
light bulbs that would burn through sooner or later).

A temporary display which disappears so you miss it if you don't look
at the device in the right moment is not exactly the kind of user
interface I would like for a function you seem to consider critical.

I know I repeat myself, but this sort of testing is something that
should be done automatically, which automatically determined test
results. An interactive test (user has to look at the device at the
right moment and realize what some blinking LED means) is
inappropriate.  Just my 0.02 EUR.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many Unix hacks does it take to change a light bulb?  Let's  see,
   can you use a shell script for that or does it need a C program?